This is an essential guide to assist you in selecting an Off Road Caravan or Pop Top
It has been constructed by industry experts and designers of superior Off Road Products
- Dust proofing – ensure fridges are vented internally, hot water systems air inlets are covered and door vents are covered. Any hole or vent
in the body will cause massive dust leaks despite manufacturer claims to the contrary.
- Suspension Systems – choose only fully independent coil sprung suspension units with twin shock absorber technology in single or tandem layout.
- Toilet System – Black water Macerator toilet systems are the best choice for serious off road travel as chemical toilets severely limit their
use in National Parks and outback towns without sewerage systems.
- Hybrid gas hot water and diesel space heating systems are far more 12 volt efficient than diesel hot water /air heating systems.
- Choose only large capacity solar systems for remote area travel
- Choose trailers that do not rely on Generators as they are banned in National Parks and most remote campsites.
- For Pop Top vans ensure the roof is securely located onto the trailer body by large roof locators and over centre locks as this limits dust ingress into the trailer.
- Ensure the trailer has between 10% -12% drawbar weight to help make off road travel safe on dirt or corrugated roads.
- Look under the van and make sure all hoses and pipes and water tanks are protected.
- If the van has a frame make sure it is a fully welded and braced aluminum frame.
- Ensure the van is a suitable width and weight for genuine Off Road travel. No wider than the tow vehicle with identical tracking ensures easier
and cheaper towing.
- Ask sales people what has been done to transform appliances to Off Road appliances capable of withstanding continued vibration.
- Spare wheels should be mounted at the front or rear for easy access as under slung spares take up valuable water tank storage capacity.
- Warranty and service networks must be in place Nation Wide. Ask to see extensive repair agent lists and do not choose single state dealer networks.
- Ask to see testimonials of Off Road performance over many years and not just recently to establish Off Road credentials.
- RVMA credentials are essential in making the buying decision, ask about this.